Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Asa.

This is a scene from a recent story I'm exploring. I felt like it created a mood so it's officially part of my description/setting experiment now. Enjoy!


...I decided in a second that no one could know Asa had been here. It was strange enough having my friend over when he was awkwardly invited. I had to hide him but how I was going to do that between the three seconds flat it took Maggie to thump downstairs, and ask grumpily what was for breakfast, was an impossible magic trick. I gave up.  Right on cue with my thought train, my little sister came downstairs, black hair an absolute mess and still clumsy with sleep; As soon as she saw Asa’s imposing frame leaning against the sink, she bolted straight back up stairs. She was gone so fast I could practically still see her when I blinked.
“She’s so annoying.” I said suddenly.
“It’s alright.”
“No, it’s weird. My little sister having a crush on anyone is fine but not you. She’s weird.”
“Whatever man. I guess I'll get outa your hair- I just came to tell you Heather was away. Oh, and also, that I got a text from my mom.”
I felt my jaw drop.
Your mom?
“Mhm.”
“When, exactly?”
“Around three A.M last night. Well, technically this mor-”
“What’d she say?”
Asa frowned because I had cut him off and took out his lighter again.
“She said she needed money. Fast.” Lighter on. He avoided looking at anything within a two foot radius of my body.
“Annnd are you gonna ask her where she is?” Lighter off. On again.
“Maybe.” Asa seemed insecure- undecided.
“She seemed scared. Very shorthand, very cryptic. Not that I’m used to her texting me all the time or something but…you know.” Asa gave me a long, hard look. I swallowed some cereal and found I wasn’t actually hungry anymore.
“What’s she doing texting you? She hasn’t seen you since-”
“Stop!” Asa’s eyes bulged slightly. He grabbed his glass out of the sink again and filled it.
“Let’s go to the park,” I said quietly, “We won’t have to worry about Maggie hearing anything there.” Asa dipped his head in agreement, swallowed, and dumped the glass out. 

--dh

No comments:

Post a Comment