Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thanks/New Years


        Sorry about this outlandishly delayed post! I just recently watched Baz Lurhman's The Great Gatsby and its complete special features. Finally, inspiration! No plagiarism or stealing of ideas was meant if there is any of that in this post. I simply decided to write and this is what came out...


         Any party that I've ever attended has not been of my own volunteering. Every time I go out I make myself a fool or worse, embarrass someone else. I was not altogether thrilled when my nosey mother in-law phoned me halfway through dinner to urge me to attend a complete stranger's New Year's party. The year up to this cold night had been less than exciting for this cubicle dweller. 
Still, I protested. 
         The car was in the shop, it was alright she was on her way already, she could pick me up; I had nothing to wear, that was fine, she promised to help me when she got there. Nothing I said made a difference. It is in these circumstances that I find myself disgusted at my own being and wish that it wasn't so impossible to simply go and be with people. Besides, she whined, it was the start of a New Year which by the sound of it, was like a renewing of her commitment to get me 'socialized'. I had to cave. Just this once. 
The ride was pitiful. I squirmed in the stiff outline of the suit she'd brought me from Eric's extensive collection. Eric, my brother in-law and much more outgoing friend was always attending dinners and fancy meetings. He had an enormous drawer filled with strictly individual style ties and stuffy old bow-ties that confounded me to no end.  I swallowed and tried not to think of it. The car was making me feel giddy and nervous, as if my in-law's chatter about my host wasn't enough to put me on the edge. 
"He's famously rich you know," I cut in. 
"Listen, Dana…"
"-Great eye for things like decor and wonderful taste in wine…" I gave up and automatically tuned her out- thinking of nothing but the lead-like mashed potatoes that sat at the very bottom of my stomach. I rolled down my window, feeling ill at ease and woeful. Parties would be the death of me. 
"Now, we're coming up to the house now- don't forget to say hello and thank you, etcetera…." 
"Of course." I reassured her huge bushy red hair, I couldn't see her profile clearly because of it. 
"You know Jared, you worry me sometimes. You forget to have a good time."
"Thank you for your concern… I suppose" I mumbled.
"Come on now, before the sun comes up…" 
We struggled out of the car, I, feeling somewhat like a swimmer who's come up for air. The night was chilly and invisible ice crunched under my fancy, also borrowed, and devilishly cold shoes. The house was magnificent. Covered in multicolored lights the flat surfaced house stood tall and lumbering like a wave that might crash onto your head at any moment. The trim along the twelve windows looked like candy frosting and the double doors were painted electric blue. 
"Welcome, Mr. and Mrs.?" A man at the door wearing a tall party hat with 1982 wilting off the foam. 
"Keebler, we're not a couple." My mother in-law scooted past the man and I looked him up and down before remembering to say, 
"Thanks."


P.S The Great Gatsby really is a phenomenal piece of artwork, it is out on DVD and Blueray now. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment