Sunday, February 16, 2014

Scenery.


“Mind if I join you?”

It was Drew, Melanie knew his voice well.

“No, I was actually about to come in to find some company!” she replied, squinting in his direction. She knew it was sunny out, the sun was warming her bare back cozily. Straightening her sundress and cane across her lap she made room for him.

“I don't see why everyone is locked up in their bedrooms to study,” She began, voice crisp and matter-of-fact.

“ I mean, you have the great outdoors to sit and think in,” she added as they settled down, Drew’s foot swinging them.

“Ha! We don’t have the time to think, like you can… “ he sighed and then after a slight pause and seeing the puzzled look on Melanie’s face, quickly added,

“I didn’t mean that to sound mocking I was just pointing out that you have more opportunity to think more than others.”

“Hmmm… Actually, I do have homework I’m supposed to be working on. I mean, I know I ought to be tremendously thankful for braille but sometimes it’s just so tedious!” she cried, throwing her hands up to emphasize her feelings.

“Yeah, same… like, sometimes I get really pissed at whoever invented Calculus...” Drew cast Melanie a sideways glance, she was looking straight ahead, and the sun was making her natural blond highlights stand out radiantly.

“Looks like we’re both on the same page then” she said, tapping her cane idly against the wood of the swing. There was a small pause in which the sounds of cheery birds and the humming of bees filled the space in between them and around them.

“I was just thinking the other day,” Drew began, staring at his knees, “and realized you know this house and these people, better than anyone.”

Melanie heard the scuff of his shoe against the brick beneath them and felt a twitch at the corner of her mouth. He seemed nervous…

“May I ask why you were thinking of me in particular?”

“I was thinking of Fred first, actually-” Drew said with a laugh, “The way he’s always gushing his thoughts to everyone and the way he forgets where everything is… How clumsy he is compared to you.” He turned slightly to watch her expression; Melanie’s smile lessened and she gravely said,

“Even if I am blind, it doesn’t exactly make me any more… glorified, for want of a better word, knowing my way about here,” she waved a hand vaguely toward the large barn to their right and the fields beyond.

“I guess so… but it’s just so hard for me to imagine, not being able to see but understand everything so well, like you do.”

“Trust me, if we switched places, I’m sure you be just as good as me if not better.” She laughed and fidgeted with her cane’s head. It was polished brass in the elegant shape of an upside down bluebell. There was another pause in conversation and then Melanie said, abruptly,

“Well, would you mind walking me back to the garden? I think I’d like a change of scenery.”

“Sure.” Drew said and even though Melanie had no idea, felt an amused and amazed smile spread over his face…  

No comments:

Post a Comment