Tuesday, December 2, 2014

TheMOS: The Past.

 “I hate looking back on old photos. In fact, I stay away from them as much as possible.” 
She announced, her eyes were hard with defiance and an immature flame of anger.

“Really? Why?” He asked, flicking a cookie crumb off his sweater.

“They’re stupid, they’re just embarrassing. I think living for the future is living now. Plus, my old self isn’t even me, people say I wasn’t that bad but trust me, it was really bad.” She had a tinge of bitter laughter in her voice as she lifted her wine glass to her lips.

“Well didn’t that sound like a journalist’s answer. How about for real? Aside from your work, there’s really nothing except embarrassment in your old family photo albums and home videos?”

“Yeah.  Plus, if you think about it, if anyone ever finds those old things, think of what it could do to my social life!”

“I’m sure your other friends were just as self-assured and blissfully rebellious as you were in eighth grade.”

“No, I’ve seen their pasts. They all had great childhoods.” She exhaled and then looked him straight in the eyes.

“So-” She started.

“Are-” He paused and then continued.

“Are you ever tempted to look at them-?”

“No.”

“I wasn’t done.”

“Oh?” She said lightly and took another sip.

“Don’t you ever just want to peek? just to see how far you’ve come? To me, that’s what those old memories are for. They’re for living happily in the now and feeling good about your future. If you could be the person you are now with that past, who knows what you could be another fifteen years from now?” Her face changed, her hard brows expanded and the stress in her jaw relaxed a fraction. 

He knew she was still annoyed, still running and definitely still fighting to be right.

 But he could see, she knew, they both were aware that he had gotten dangerously close to convincing her that she was okay. Close, but no cigar.

She swept her hair off one shoulder and threw him a look across the table,

“Well then, maybe you should be the one writing for the papers.” She smiled a bit, and set the empty wine glass down on the table with a faint clink. 

dh

No comments:

Post a Comment